Πέμπτη 31 Ιουλίου 2008

How foxmarks saved me...

I use firefox a lot. I have it installed at all the computers I use.
My main PC at home, my secondary pc at home, my laptop, my asus eee, my work's PC, all of them have firefox.
Moreover I use several operating systems at these PC's. So I use 7 different firefox installations.

I always had trouble keeping my bookmarks organized. My first solution was to build a simple php script that using a mysql database was able to save my favorite bookmarks. But it was a little trouble. Whenever I wanted to add a bookmark I had to visit the php script, enter the password, write down the url, click the "Submit" button and get a "Bookmark was added" confirmation message.

It was actually a very good idea. I also added a nice wysiwyg editor, a comment system and start using it in different ways.

So I concluded with a note/blog/bookmark/todo/remember system. It was fast, simple and I had access from anywhere.

That worked just fine until I found foxmarks. Foxmarks is a plugin for firefox that synchronizes the bookmarks. Also it has a useful web interface to check your bookmarks online without downloading the plugin.

Now I do not care at what pc I'm working on, I know that my bookmarks will be there synchronized.

Thank you foxmarks!

http://www.foxmarks.com/

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: