Κυριακή 15 Μαρτίου 2009

How many tty's do you really need?

I'm trying to keep my Asus eee as fast and lightweight as I can.

Getting the idea from this post (thanks to mikes) at Hellug Forum and thinking that most of the times I use only one tty, I did the following test:
I tested the free memory with the following configuration:
a) 7 tty's (getty)
b) 1 tty (getty)
c) 1 tty (fgetty*)

The results was what I was expecting from the beginning:
free mem - buffers/cache
a) 50936 - 23476
b) 50036 - 22624
c) 49640 - 22528

Closing the unnecessary tty's was enough for me to get rid of about 1mb of ram at the buffers/cache.
Switching from getty to fgetty made my ram about 2mb bigger.

Closing the "extra" ttys, wont save you a big amount of ram, (although 2mb of ram in a total of 256mb or less may make a little difference) but think of the post's title question again:

How many tty's do you really need?




*fgetty:
Description: very small, efficient, console-only getty and login.
fgetty is a small, efficient, console-only getty for Linux. It is derived
from mingetty but hacked until it would link against diet libc to produce
the smallest memory footprint possible for a simple yet complete getty.
fgetty includes a login program that supports the checkpassword
authentication interface, and also a checkpassword program that uses the
standard C library interface to passwd and shadow.

1 σχόλιο:

Ανώνυμος είπε...
Αυτό το σχόλιο αφαιρέθηκε από έναν διαχειριστή ιστολογίου.